Wednesday, February 23, 2011

fine print

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey. ~Kenji Miyazawa



The turning point in the process of growing up
 is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt. ~Max Lerner


I could launch into one heck of a story tonight but I'm tired and surely sometimes you must think I share too much!

Do you ever stop to wonder what if you had read the "fine print" before signing onto this voyage of motherhood?

Would you still have signed up?

I like to tell myself that even if I read the fine print, I would have bravely stepped up to the task at hand
{but would I have really? Would you have? really? If someone spelled it all out beforehand?

My children are wonderful and inspiring and great but that doesn't mean "easy."

That means there is a lot of "fine print"
{yes in deed there is a lot of the good advertised stuff too!}

That means there are a whole heck of a lot of life lessons ~ for me {and them} but mostly me I think!

Today has been a day of....."growth"

Growth is a positive phrase for life lesson I suppose. Teaching moment.  Parenting.
Call it what you want, it's hard.

Somewhere inside I know that with growth comes pain and struggles.

Somewhere inside I know that it's not good  if we don't struggle and grow to be better.

But somewhere inside I hate all the "fine print" that surfaced the day I became a mom and more than that I hate the "fine print" that we're "not suppose" to talk about!


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. ~Frank A. Clark

We go along doing our best and it just takes a moment or a seed of doubt to send us into worry.

Balance.
Shift.
Wobble.
Grow.
Balance again.
{repeat}

Welcome to motherhood.
It's a process.

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.
A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.
~Sophia Loren


3 comments:

The Preister's said...

hmmm, that is a great question. the politically correct answer is YES, of course! however, just knowing what I know now (meaning just what we have done in 4 years) it would have been hard to say yes!! Lets see, my contract would have said:

You will have a first born girl, she will have cancer, and have surgery on her eyes twice, and as a result of said cancer she will have dental issues by the age of three. your second born, a son will test you each day and have a hard time talking at a typical age, making life more stressful for him. As you think you are on a path of least resistance your daughter will break someones arm while playing and said son will have a time of biting.

gosh, doesn't that sound like a good time?!!

now, if that fine print would also say, your oldest child would change lives that far exceed your imagination as as a result you will be taking to places you could have never dreamed of (physically and emotionaly) then I may not have hesitated as much!!!

i love my kids, but you are so right...some days, some nights, you think -- wow, THIS was not taught in our "baby steps" pre-parenting class the hospital gives ;-)

parenting is NOT easy, and not everyone is good at it. I like to think that because we think this way, this helps us (me) be in the "okay" category on most days!

Okay, this post got me on "one of these days" as well...sorry for the rant!! thanks for sharing, honesty is never something people can be sick of.

Meg said...

Another book idea: What to Expect when You're Expecting...the fine print!

Kim said...

The fine print is hard, but I hope and pray some day when the girls are gone I can sit back and say that I did a good job parenting!! I sure question myself if there is a wrong or right way?!?!