Saturday, August 4, 2012

rhythm & harmony

We cannot be happy if we expect to live all the time at the highest peak of intensity. Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony. ~Thomas Merton, 1955

This quote caught my attention and was a dire reminder that
happiness,
life,
is a process.

One would never understand the value and glory of happiness
if one never experienced, loss, hurt, pain.

So although we, or I, strive for the ever elusive
always happy life,
it is good to stop sometimes during the madness,
the chaos,
the tears,
to remember that this time is an intricate part of a happy life.

It seems that when life "has you down"
is when I tend to dream up
some of my best hopes and dreams.

Does that make sense?

I mean, when you are happy, you are satisfied with how things are.
You aren't pushing forward you are thinking..."wow if life just stayed like this forever that would be great."
I have decided that we have to come down off of the high on life ledge
to swirl around for awhile before we push ourselves onto even
grander things.

Maybe I am just mentally trying to prepare myself for the craziness that lies ahead in our lives.
I am not exactly sure.
I am sure though,that it will be a chaotic process striking a new balance. (as usual)

.....hmmm plenty of time to ponder on that subject
moving on.

Maybe we should ponder baby names instead?
Or perhaps on my 7 year old boy who sounds like a 35 year old husband, when he stated (while school shopping)"we have everything we need. Now you are just wasting time. Let's go home."

Classic.


No comments: