Thursday, March 20, 2014

First day of spring meltdown/recovery

For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life.  But there was always some obstacle in the way.  Something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.  Then life would begin.  At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.  ~Fr. Alfred D'Souza

It was an amazingly sunny first day of spring!

I spent it inside. 
Not even a window for a glimpse of sunny happiness.

I was talking to my sister and found myself spiraling down a whiny path of....
its so nice out and I had to do this and then that was late and now we have to and then it will be and 
I won't get to be outside taking in the beauty of the day at all and it makes me sad. 
whine. whine. whine. 

The reality was we were pulling in the driveway at 6:55pm.
Benson and I still needed to eat supper. 
Kadence still had homework.
Everyone needed baths.
Bedtime is at 8:30.
You do the math.
..and I was still feeling sorry for myself for not getting to be outside. By the time Benson finishes eating it would easily by 7:30 and too late to head out. whine whine whine

At that point I heard my own words loud and clear: 
Make a choice to breath it in. 
Make a choice to DO something. 
Just make a choice!

No one ever said that Benson must eat supper at the table right?

In that moment I made the rash decision to have an impromptu picnic in the backyard.


Just making that choice shifted the whole dynamics on the evening.

It was.........

nice.


And "nice" is just what we all needed. 

Heck, we even invited the  neighbor over for a brief lil backyard chat!

Sometimes we try and fail miserably...

however;

don't you love it when it works!?!




There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.  
~Bill Watterson,Calvin and Hobbes

No comments: